6.4 – Mopeds
Persons riding mopeds have the same rights and duties as drivers of motor vehicles. Moped riders committing traffic violations will receive citations.
Know and obey these moped laws:
- You must be 16 years of age or older to operate a moped on a public road.
- Operators of mopeds must have the minimum of a Class E license. No motorcycle endorsement is required.
- Mopeds must be registered annually and a tag purchased.
- Mopeds may not be operated on bicycle paths or foot paths.
- Moped operators do not have to carry PIP insurance.
- Operators 16 years of age or older are not required to wear helmets.